Friday, December 11, 2009

The Joy of Gifts

As we celebrate the Third Sunday of Advent and prepare to light the Candle of Joy, I am reminded of an event that happened earlier this week, which, to me, symbolizes what the Advent season and Christmas are all about. My sister, Kelly, and wife, Amy, had the brilliant idea of getting family photos taken for my mother as a Christmas gift, as mom just loves pictures of her family. I thought it was a great idea, because we hadn't had a family picture taken in over fifteen years. It took some work, but we were able to get my younger brother, my old brother and his wife, my sister and her fiance and Amy and myself to the portrait studio. We also were able to get Dad to bring Mom there, without her being any the wiser. Needless to say, she was surprised!

A week later, Mom is still glowing when she speaks of her family photos. I learned that her and Dad have not had a professional photo taken together since they were married over thirty years ago, and finally understood exactly how much this gift meant to Mom. More than anything else we could have done, this simple gift touched Mom, and warmed her heart.

The best gifts come from the heart, and therefore bring the most joy. On Christmas, we'll celebrate God's gift to us, the birth of the Christ Child, a gift that has blessed, saved and changed countless lives over the centuries. When I think about this gift, it warms my heart, to think that Christ would take upon Himself human flesh, suffer the ignominy of being born and growing up, just to provide the free gift of salvation-to me, and to you.

Let us take joy, at the great love that our Heavenly Father has shown on us, as we remember this year the birth of His Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment